As you can see, here at MULTI, we talk a lot about hydrocolloid patches. In fact, you could say we’re obsessed. And as we’ve been knee-deep in research on the user experience and benefits of hydrocolloid, we couldn’t help but notice that there’s not a ton of information out there on how to use hydrocolloid patches in a way that maximizes its benefits.
In fact, in a mini-review conducted by our Chief Scientific Officer, she found that out of 10 randomly-selected TikTok videos on using hydrocolloid patches, only 6 of them actually used them “properly.” That’s nearly half! And since we’re data-driven, an extrapolation of those results indicates that you may need a heads up as well. So consider this your modern guide to hydrocolloid.
1. First thing’s first: Apply on clean skin! The way that hydrocolloid works is by absorbing the fluid and oil out of a blemish upwards into the patch. Therefore, it’s important to apply the patch on freshly cleaned and dried skin in order for the patch to get to the root of the problem quickly.
2. It may sound clever to apply the patch on top of a spot treatment like salicylic acid for maximum absorption, but this is actually counterintuitive. By adding product underneath the patch, the patch is working to absorb both the fluid and oil from a blemish, and the product. Therefore, this considerably slows down the results that can be experienced from a patch.
3. Try it on a small bug bite. Irritation from bites are a direct result from inflammation. Therefore, placing hydrocolloid material on a patch helps with soothing, protecting, and preserving the skin’s barrier from further irritation caused by itching and picking.
4. Wear it for its recommended time. For the MULTI patch, we recommend you to wear it for at least 6-8 hours. The key is to wear it within that sweet spot of between ~8 hours and ~12 hours. Anything longer than that (and even 12 is somewhat pushing it), actually puts you at risk of occluding your blemish for a lot longer than it should be, which unfavorably traps the dirt and oil.
5. Patience is key. In most cases, you can see results from a hydrocolloid patch overnight. However, don’t expect a patch to do all of the work immediately. For some of those nastier blemishes, it may take up to 3 days of wearing the patch correctly to completely flatten the blemish. For blemishes that have come to a head (in other words, if the fluid & oil have been brought to the surface), the patch works quickest.
Do these tips change up your routine? Did you see any patch mistakes you’ve been making lately? If so, consider using the recommended tips above and see how drastically your hydrocolloid experience can change.
Overall, if you’re going to #UseProtection, why not do it in a cute, fun way with a smiley face? The MULTI Patch is arriving soon, and we would love to see it on your beautiful face. But whether you’re using the MULTI Patch or another patch, don’t forget to reference this modern guide to hydrocolloid.